Saturday, March 8, 2008

Power Outage, Cleaning and Potato Soup

So, yesterday we had a lot of snow. No school. And, the power went out for a total of about 4 1/2 hours. It was off, then on, then off, then on.


Without the distraction of electronics, my daughter and I set to work with the continuation of our spring cleaning/de-cluttering project. She tackled her closet and bedroom and I did the same. We made a lot of progress. Of course, our living room is now a total wreck because it has become the repository for everything we are hauling away.

Using just plain hot water with vinegar we dusted and cleaned. The ceilings, walls, trim... everything got a wipe down. Ah... it's nice! Today we hope to finish the majority of the project. We'll load the truck with items to donate to various organizations. My husband's clothes will go to the men's shelter. My daughter's and mine will go to the women and children's shelter. We'll take old plastic shopping bags to recycle.

I have a stack of things to look at re-purposing. Mostly old t-shirts and jeans. I'll spend some time looking at them and decide if I will really do the work. Then, I'll toss out what I won't use.

Tomorrow, I will shampoo the carpets in the bedrooms. We have wood floors or tile everywhere else. Once everything has been cleaned and dusted, I'll pre-treat the stains and spots in the carpets with diluted Shout. Then I'll use my home steam cleaner. It's not as good as a big rental, but it's less expensive, does the job and is much less hassle to use!

While the power was out yesterday, I tossed some potatoes in the wood stove and baked them. Then I made a delicious baked potato soup from them for dinner. The power had come back on, but I proceeded with cooking as if it had not. It's nice to have this back-up in place.

With the big spring clean and de-clutter project almost complete, I'm looking forward to sitting down at the sewing machine and starting on some re-purposing and gift projects. I've had to force myself not to get distracted by these projects until I finish my cleaning. It is so tempting to just go whip this up and have it finished... but, the reality is that it's never that quick and simple for me. So, it's much better that I stay on task and finish. Then, I can enjoy my clean, clean, clean house and my new projects!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gee, Heather, all these years and I did not know you were a clean-o-holic like me, lol. I use vinegar and water often - but nothing cleans like ammonia and water - if you can stand the strong odor.

PS: There is nothing - and I do mean NOTHING - that I hate more than losing power. :) But I do have a fireplace too so I'll need that potato soup recipe before September, okay.
Linda :)