Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Home-Brewed Root Beer

Today I decided I needed to do some fun things to break up the monotony of day-in, day-out chores. So, I will make some home brewed root beer. I've made it with my daughters in the past but it's been a very long time. I have root beer extract, yeast and some great gallon plastic juice bottles on hand.

We only purchase soda occasionally or as a treat. It's not healthy and it's not within our budget to provide it daily. So, not only will the making of the home brewed root beer be fun, it will also give us a nice fizzy treat, for just a few pennies!

There are several recipes available on the internet, but all of them are simple. Water, sugar, rootbeer extract and yeast. You clean the bottles well, sanitize them, mix up the ingredients, pour it into the bottles and then wait for about 10 days. I plan to make 4 gallons of it today.

Home Brewed Root Beer
makes 2 gallons

1/2 tspn yeast Use either regular yeast or champagne yeast, if it's available.
2 oz or 4 tbspn root beer extract
4 cups sugar
Water (fill to 2 gallons)

Thoroughly clean and sanitize plastic soda bottles! In a small bowl dissove yeast in warm (98 - 110 degrees) water. Mix thoroughly and let stand for a few minutes. Shake bottle of extract well. In a clean, sanitized pot containing 2 gallons of water add 4 cups sugar and 4 tbspn root beer extract. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add the dissolved yeast and mix thoroughly. Use a clean funnel and fill bottles to within 1 - 1 1/2 inches from the top. Seal tightly and turn on side to check for leaks. Leave alone for 3 -5 days in fairly warm space (72 - 75 degrees). I place them on top of my refrigerator at the back, where it is warmer. Then store in a dark place for at least a week, two weeks improves the flavor. When the soda is ready the bottles should be firm to the touch. Refrigerate before opening. The quantities can be easily adjusted to make smaller or larger batches. Small batches are recommended when new to home-brewed root beer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Came this way via frugal forum. Looks like you have some great ideas! I can't wait to try a few of them out.

Unknown said...

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy my blog.